Thursday 12 November 2009

Working out who's who

I'm been puzzling once again this evening over my church's address list. It is normal here for a woman to keep her maiden name. But some women it seems add their husband's name when they become a widow. And so begins a difficult pastoral situation - should I write "Famiglia so-and-so" on the envelope, if in fact there is only 1 person at the address. And how is it that women with different surnames seem to be living at the same address - are they sisters? are they widows? are they in fact at different addresses, and the one we have is wrong?

Those people in the UK who have a different surname to their husband/partner, how do you like mail to be addressed when it is for both of you? and could I really offend someone I haven't met by getting this wrong?!

Anyhow, this is just preamble to me suggesting that you take a look here http://www.methodist.org.uk/index.cfm?fuseaction=churchlife.content&cmid=1697
at a funny bit of methodist graphics for your mobile phone. I will be downloading it, once I've worked out how!

1 comment:

Gareth said...

I'd like you to address stuff for us to "Katherine and Gareth", or if you insist, "Katherine Fox and Gareth Evans".

Actually if it's church stuff, it's better to address it to Katherine and she'll tell me if there's anything I need to know.

But a brief Google search suggests that it's a bit complicated, and you should ask an Italian, not your English blog readers.