Friday 19 November 2010

Godly Play Italia

Some Fridays I think it's ok to feel just a little smug and pleased. I've set the sunday school programme for the next 5 months and ordered Godly Play resources for the whole 5 months. This is because today I got very wet trying to buy felt in the centre of Florence (pashminas win again as substitutes but they are still more expensive).

I only know of one other person using some GP in Italy, in Italian. Sadly, the American church has stopped runing GP sessions - I had hoped to be able to borrow their resources. GP needs a good name in Italian, something that will appeal to the protestant churches because I have a feeling that "play" could be too frivilous a thing. GP itself could well be viewed as too catholic, as it has a sacramental focus and enjoys exploring traditional symbols. As I (and others that I find to volunteer) translate the language, we will need to try and translate some of the culture too --- and that is what makes working outside your own culture difficult/interesting/entertaining/embarrassing/challenging (delete according to your experience this week!)

No comments: